Wisdom and Answers come In God’s Timing
I spend so much time waiting! It’s not something I necessarily enjoy…just part of life. I wait in line at the grocery store, for elevators, at intersections, in the drive-thru at Walgreens, the Bank, wait to be seated at Olive Garden, for a doctor, for Scott to get home, for a book to be released, for the oven to pre-heat, for the dryer to ding, for VACATION, for a committee to make a decision, wait for flowers to bloom, bread to rise, friends to call, wait for wounds to heal, for love to deepen.
I expect to wait. I read to pass the time, make up short rhymes (mostly about the weather and God’s glory revealed in it), repeat scripture, rehearse lines for upcoming skits/plays, review to-do list, and so many other mental exercises.
But the best part is: hope. Mostly what I’m waiting for is good (Doctor’s not so much. . .but still benefits me). At the end of the grocery line is food for my family, when I get a table at Olive Garden I will enjoy a fantastic meal. When that book is released or when vacation finally arrives–ahhh!!
Get it? We wait because we get something at the end!
What does Scripture say about waiting?
- The Israelites spent so much time waiting and wandering in the wilderness.
- In ancient battles (I guess in modern ones too) men waited to attack (and women waited on their men!)
- So many Psalms talk of waiting for the Lord. This shows our dependence on Him. We should be courageous and strong of heart while waiting. We wait with expectancy all the while keeping His way. I wait and my hope is in Him! Psalm 104 says ALL CREATION waits for the Lord! We await redemption and judgement and rescue.
- Isaiah says “Happy are all who wait patiently for Him” Praise!! Lord, be gracious to us! We wait for You. Be our strength every morning, and our salvation in time of trouble. Isaiah 33:2
- Lamentations: “The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, the the person who seeks Him.” and “It is good to wait quietly for deliverance from the Lord”
- Romans 8:25: From Groans to Glory: “But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with patience”
- Galatians 5:5 Freedom of the Christian: “For by the Spirit we eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness from faith”
- Phillipians 3:20 Reaching Forward to God’s Goal: “…eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.”
- Titus 2:13 Sound Teaching: “…we wait for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ.”
- 2 Peter3:12-14 The Day of the Lord: “…you wait for and earnestly desire…we wait for new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness will dwell….While you wait for these things, make every effort to be found in peace without spot or blemish before Him.
So much good stuff in scripture…now that I’ve read about it…waiting doesn’t seem as unpleasant. I’m reflecting on waiting today because something for which I have been waiting years to happen is finally within sight! I knew how excited I was for it to happen when I dreamed about it last night!
Now, all I have to do to find out if the ‘dream comes true’ is . . . wait.