Think about this: the God of the universe has longings. He can have anything, anytime and yet He waits . He longs to SHOW US MERCY. He longs to be gracious to us. (Can you even!?!)
Therefore the LORD longs to be gracious to you,
And therefore He waits on high
to have compassion on you.
For the LORD is a God of justice;
How blessed are all those who long for Him.
Now, think about your longings. What desires to you wait to be fulfilled? Do you want Jesus? Not just what He can do for you. Do you long for Him? (Ouch!)
As I find myself in another season of waiting, I decided to look at what His Word (Ps 130:5) says about these times. It turns out, it’s addressed OFTEN!
Through people like:
- Jacob (Gen 49:18)
- David (Ps 39:7)
- Isaiah (Is 8:17)
- Micah (Mic 7:7)
- Joseph of Arimethea (Mar 15:43)
There are plenty of promises too. When we long for Him, when we wait:
- we are heard (Ps. 40:1),
- we are blessed (Dan 12:12),
- we experience His goodness (Lam 3:25),
- we will not be ashamed (Ps 25:3, Is 49:23),
- we will have our strength renewed (Is 40:31),
- we will inherit the earth (Ps 37:9),
- we will be SAVED (Pr 20:22, Is 25:9)
- we will rejoice in salvation (Is 25:9),
- we and will receive the glorious things God has prepared for us (Is 64:4).
I’m in a season of waiting, and it is good (Ps 52:9)…for a situation to be resolved (Ps123:2) …for clear direction (Ps25:5)….for needs to be fulfilled (Jer 14:22). Through all these struggles, I’ll cling to Him (Ps 25:5). I have the audacity to hope rather than be overcome with cynicism (Gal 5:5).
Can I encourage you to wait? Whatever it is you struggle with, look to Him. Long for more of Christ.
Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart takecourage;
Yes, wait for the LORD.
Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him
who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who
carries out wicked schemes.